Crime Victim Rights

Crime Victim Rights

Crime victims are entitled to be notified of their rights under the Crime Victim’s Rights Act. These rights allow the victim to actively participate in the criminal justice process. Most of these rights are not automatic. You decide whether to take advantage of them by contacting the Monroe Police Department.

The Monroe Police Division is the police agency investigating your case. Your complaint shall be thoroughly investigated. If follow-up investigation is necessary, you may be re-contacted by the investigating officer. If sufficient evidence is gathered, a warrant request shall be submitted to the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office.

As a victim, you have certain rights under the law:

  • You have the right to be told about emergency and medical services, if applicable. Emergency and medical service can be obtained by calling 911 or by calling Promedica Monroe Regional Hospital at (734)240-8400.
  • Domestic violence assistance can be obtained by calling (734) 755-9709 or (734) 322-4359.
  • You have the right to be informed of the crime victim’s compensation benefits that may be available to you and to apply for crime victim’s compensation benefits. You can reach the Crime Victim’s Compensation Board in Lansing at (517)373-7373. Additional information about crime victim’s compensation and restitution will be mailed to you by the Monroe County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
  • If you would like to be notified of an arrest in your case or the release of a person arrested, or both, you should call the Monroe Police Department at (734)243-7500.
  • If you are not notified of an arrest in your case, you may call the Monroe Police Department at (734)243-7500 for the current status of your case.
  • You have the right to be informed no later than 24 hours after arraignment of the status of the defendant’s pre-trial release. This information can be obtained by calling the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department at (734)240-7430, or if the defendant is a juvenile by calling the Monroe County Youth Center at (734)240-3220.
  • If the defendant threatens you or your family, contact the Monroe Police Department immediately.
  • The Monroe Police Department shall promptly return to the victim property belonging to that victim which is collected during the course of the investigation.
  • The Monroe Police Department shall not return property which is contraband.
  • The Monroe Police Department shall not return property if the ownership is disputed until the dispute is resolved.
  • The Monroe Police Department shall retain as evidence any weapon used in the commission of the crime and any other evidence if the prosecuting attorney certifies that there is a need to retain that evidence in lieu of a photograph of other means of memorializing its possession by the department. 
  • You may obtain a copy of the police incident report for your case by contacting the police department at (734)243-7500.

You have the legal right to go to court and file a petition requesting a personal protection order to protect you or other members of your household. If you are the victim of domestic abuse, an order could include restraining or enjoining the abuse from doing the following:

  • Entering the premises
  • Assaulting, attacking, beating, molesting or wounding you.
  • Threatening to kill or physically injure you or another person.
  • Removing minor children from you, except as otherwise authorized by an order pertaining to custody or parenting time issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.
  • Engaging in stalking behavior.
  • Purchasing or possessing a firearm.
  • Interfering with your efforts to remove your children or personal property from premises that are solely owned or leased by the abuser.
  • Interfering with your efforts to remove your children or personal property from premises that are solely owned or leased by the abuser.
  • Interfering with you at your place of employment or education or engaging in conduct that impairs your employment relationship or your employment or educational environment.
  • Engaging in any other specific act or conduct that imposes upon or interferes with your personal liberty, or that causes a reasonable apprehension of violence.
  • Having access to information in records concerning any minor child you have with the abuser that would inform the abuser about your address or telephone number, the child’s address or telephone number, or your employment address.
  • The right to go to court to file a motion for an order to show cause if the abuser is violating, or has violated, a personal protection order and has not been arrested.

If your case has been forwarded for review and authorization of a criminal warrant, you can contact the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office at:

Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office
125 E. Second Street
Monroe, MI 48161

Toll Free: 1.888.354.5500 ext. 7601

For additional information and assistance you may contact:

  • Domestic Violence Emergency Response Team 24 Hours - (734) 755-9709
  • Family Counseling & Shelter Services - (734) 241-0180
  • Sunrise House Domestic Violence Shelter - (734)242-SAFE
  • Michigan Department of Human Services - (734)243-7200
  • Catholic Charities - (734)240-3850
  • Legal Services of Southeastern Michigan - (734)241-8310
  • District Court Pretrial Services - (734)240-7104 or 240-7107
  • Salvation Army Harbor Light - (734)242-5050
  • Philadelphia House-Homeless Shelter for Men - (734)242-4266
  • Monroe County Community Mental Health - (734)243-7340
  • Promedica Monroe Regional Hospital - (734)240-8400