Director / Chief of Police Thomas C. Moore
Thomas Moore was appointed to the Monroe Police Department on February 15, 1985 . He was appointed to Chief of Police on July 19, 2010 and to Director of Public Safety in June of 2011. Prior to this appointment he served as Deputy Chief, patrol lieutenant, vice detective, field training officer and patrol officer. Chief Moore is a graduate of Eastern Michigan University’s School of Police Staff and Command and has attended Madonna University.
The mission of the Monroe Police Department is to protect the freedom and safety of the citizens of Monroe and its visitors by preventing crime and disorder and ensuring the safe efficient flow of traffic.
The members of the Monroe Police Department shall carry out this mission in a fair and unbiased manner that respects the rights of the individual and encourages an open partnership with the law-abiding citizens of Monroe. Our approach to policing adheres to Sir Robert Peel’s Nine Principles of Policing, which are included herein.
- The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
- The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
- Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
- The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
- Police seek to preserve public favor, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustices of the substance of individual laws; by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing; by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humor; and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.
Officer of the year awards; http://www.monroemi.gov/